CALVIN Betton won another Wimbledon title as a coach at the weekend then was due to spend the rest of the week working in his parents’ garden in Barnsley.
The 40-year-old from New Lodge is a professional tennis coach who has helped Brit Henry Patten and his partner Finn Harri Heliövaara to three men’s doubles Grand Slam titles including at Wimbledon on Saturday.
After returning to Barnsley, Calvin said: “I am going to sort my parents’ garden out because it’s overgrown.
“That will take me two or three days.
“So I don’t know if it will be much of a rest. I might see some of my mates as well and then probably take a holiday.
“I am pretty tired after Wimbledon and need a few weeks off.”
Patten and Heliövaara also won at Wimbledon in 2024, before taking the Australian Open the following year.
“It was a totally different feeling this time. Last time they had only been playing together two months and weren’t seeded. Every match was a bonus.
“This time they are world number ones so it was different, especially in the final. I wouldn’t say we expected to win but it wasn’t a total shock.
“Last time it was: what on Earth have we just done? This time it was: ‘we did the job we were expected to do.’
“I think they have been in the final 40 per cent of the slams they have played together which is a wild stat.”
The post-game celebrations were not particularly raucous.
Calvin said: “We went for dinner in Notting Hill then went to watch the football at a pub but I forgot my glasses.
“The distance we were from the screen, I couldn’t see anything so with, about ten minutes left of normal time, I just went back to the hotel. I was shattered – I had been up from 6am, sorting tickets out for family members then we won it and I was sorting out somewhere to celebrate.
“By midnight I was just done.”
Calvin played and coached for Barnsley Tennis Club before becoming a coach in the professional game.
“I have had different route because mainly, in high performance and elite tennis coaching, people strangely have never coached at clubs. I coached at a club for the first eight or nine years of my career and it gave me a grounding and foundation that I think has made me a better coach.”
He also coaches another top doubles player Luke Johnson who occasionally comes up against Henry.
“They have played each other loads of times and it’s a nightmare. The worst day is the day the draw comes out.
“You just hope they don’t play each other in the first round. If it’s in the final I am over the moon.
“If they play each other, I just sit in the middle neutrally and don’t give tactical instructions or encouragement to either player. They are good mates and they understand.
“They were supposed to play each other in the semi-finals of the Madrid Masters which is a big one but Luke rolled his ankle in the warm-up which put him out for three months.”
Calvin is planning to keep coaching Patten and Johnson for the foreseeable future. He said: “I will stay with these guys as long as they want me. I enjoy working with them and I enjoy winning which they are doing a lot of at the minute. I couldn’t coach any more than I do at the minute. It would be too much.”
Calvin received criticism after saying on his podcast Tennis Unfiltered that the returning Serena Williams playing on Centre Court was a ‘disgrace.’
“I got a lot of abuse from Serena Williams fans but they tend to be a bit nutty. I felt it was vindicated in the end.
“She played one game, and lost, then pulled out of the doubles and didn’t make an appearance in press to explain it.
“I think you need to speak out at times. Too many people try to be politically correct all the time and if you do that they will just tread on you.”
Calvin’s player Patten used his post-match interview after winning the title to express concern at the ATP’s plans to reduce the number of doubles players at events.
Betton said: “It’s pretty grim.
“Henry’s speech was fantastic and I was really proud of him. Athletes should stand for something.
“Henry is still going to be at tournaments because he’s one of the top players but he’s fighting for the people below him.
“It’s very concerning because I don’t think they are being entirely truthful about the reasons they are doing it.
“They are trying to say doubles costs them money and it’s not a good business model.
“But what they are doing is not going to bring in more money, it’s just a transfer of wealth to the richest singles players.
“They have decided they don’t think doubles players deserve the small portion of prize money they get which is 20 per cent, between two of them.
“The players they want the money from doubles to go to are the singles players ranked 60 to 100.
“Reilly Opelka is the one who is gobbing off about it most. He’s won six tennis matches this year and won half a million quid.
“There is no way of gaging how much money doubles brings in.
“You need it on the outside courts of tournaments to sell ground passes.
“The Wimbledon semi-final day on Court One only had doubles on it and tickets were £110 and it was a sell-out for 9,500 people which is £1million.
“The ATP also refuses to promote doubles on their social media. You can’t run a business with no promotion.”