Chronicle chief reporter Jack Tolson delves back into the Chronicle archives of July 1985.

GIANT CONGA FLOP BUT EVERYTHING ELSE A SUCCESS

A WORLD record attempt to form the longest conga dance chain in Barnsley failed when only 175 people turned up on Saturday.

Barnsley YMCA organisers had hoped for about 10,000 people to break the record as part of International Youth Year celebrations.

“You could say we were short... short by thousands,” said organiser Peter Brookes.

But it failed to dampen an IYY parade through the town centre and gala events at Locke Park in the afternoon.

About 600 young people met for the start of the parade at Court House car park.

Their colourful banners were judged by young local artists.

articlempu1

Thousands of people turned up to the gala and all money raised will go towards the Save The Children fund.

£21M UNDERCOVER SHOP CENTRE PLAN

TALKS were taking place yesterday about a £21m plan for an undercover shopping centre in Barnsley.

articlempu2

Senior members and officials of Barnsley Council were looking at the scheme which involves the building of what has been described as a mini-version of The Ridings Centre, Wakefield, on the site of the former Alhambra cinema.

An Elland-based firm, Commercial Development Projects Ltd, are behind the scheme and a representative was yesterday meeting the council team, which included leader Coun Ron Rigby.

The idea is the firmest of more than 20 enquiries received about the Alhambra site since part of it was put on sale.

articlempu3

The site has already been earmarked for a multi-million pound shopping area, including a major non-food store.

Coun Rigby said: “This is a matter I know very little about which I cannot make detailed comment on.

“All I know is that the people behind the idea have plenty of money and want to come and talk, so we have to listen to them.”

DI MADE THEIR DAY

DRESSED in their finery, ready for a date with Princess Di last week, four Barnardo workers set off from Barnsley.

The ladies - Pat Blackburne, Jackie Hellewell, Decima Barns and Pam Gibson - travelled to London for the royal launch of the Year of the Barnardo Volunteer.

Along with the Princess of Wales who has recently become the president of the charity, they attended Westminster Abbey for a special service.

Mrs Blackburne said: “It was a glittering and memorable occasion.

“Princess Diana was greeted at the Abbey by a stirring fanfare from the Welsh Guards.

“We were proud to be part of the congregation on this special occasion.”