PLANS to dismantle and rebuild a section of the Grade I-listed Monk Bretton Priory have officially been submitted to the council over risks to ‘health and safety’.
Founded in about 1154 by a local landowner, Adam Fitzswaine, it was a daughter house of the rich Cluniac priory at Pontefract.
However, within 50 years bitter quarrels had broken out between the two houses, as Pontefract sought to retain direct control of Monk Bretton.
The dispute was only resolved in 1281, when Monk Bretton seceded from the Cluniac Order and became a Benedictine house.
In 1295 it housed 13 monks - the exact same number as at its closure in November 1538 during the dissolution of the monasteries.
Henry VIII sent the famous Thomas Cromwell to take control, accompanied by William Blythman who bought it and lived there.
It was also owned by the sixth Earl of Shrewsbury, who was gaoler of Mary Queen of Scots, and married to Bess of Hardwick.
The priory site changed hands several times over later centuries, before being placed in state guardianship in 1932.
Plans, submitted to the council this week, show that work is being planned to dismantle and subsequently rebuild a section of the western wall over concerns around health and safety.
A report states: “Hoardings will be erected across a portion of paved public footpath.
“A footpath diversion has been in place since early 2025 due to risks to health and safety posed by walls within the application site.
“The course of the footpath has been moved within two metres east of the existing paved path.
“There will be no change to highways and no other change to accessibility provisions as a result of the proposals.
“This application is for the erection of temporary hoardings at the West Gatehouse at Monk Bretton Priory.
“The hoardings will enable the dismantling and rebuilding of the upper portion of the western wall within this part of the site, which will also include the installation of new interpretation.”
The work is expected to take place over a two-year period, should the plans be approved.
The report added: “Upon dismantling, all stone and brickwork will be carefully stored within the hoardings compound. Bricks will also be examined and assessed upon removal.
“It is possible that historic bricks have been reused during previous works, and this can only be determined once the covering render is removed.
“Bricks will be reused wherever possible, depending on their condition, and any significant material in too poor a condition to be reinserted will be recorded and retained.
“Subject to budget constraints, the work will be phased across two financial years.
“First phase plans for hoardings and dismantling the wall were commissioned within the 2025/26 financial year and are included with this initial submission.
“If consented, the hoardings and dismantling work will be undertaken within the 2026/27 and 2027/28 financial years.
“Proposals for the second phase, involving the rebuilding of the wall and the installation of new interpretation, will be commissioned within the 2026/27 financial year.
“The rebuilding work will be subject to agreement of plans and designs with the local authority.
“The possibility of approving exact specifications and plans for rebuilding at a later date was confirmed during pre-application consultation with conservation officer Anthony Wiles.
“Rebuilding will then be carried out as soon as possible -and subject to budgets - either within the 2026/27 or 2027/28 financial year.”
Eight neighbouring properties have been made aware of the plans with no appeals to date.
Public consultation ends on May 20.