THESE photos taken following a blaze in Barnsley have been released by the fire service to encourage people to test their smoke alarms.

The fire at a block of flats on Thorne Close at New Lodge started in a wheelie bin which the fire service said had been deliberately set alight and quickly spread to the front of the ground floor property.

A spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said a man and a toddler managed to escape unharmed - but only after a smoke detector had raised the alarm. It is hoping the images will spur people into making sure they test the devices regularly.

He said: “A bin was set alight outside the ground floor flat and spread to the porch of the property and the residents were out when the crews arrived. When the crews got there they evacuated people from the rest of the flats.”

Firefighters from Cudworth, Barnsley and Rotherham stations attended the blaze on April 20, which was reported at about 5.15pm.

Read more in this weeks Barnsley Chronicle