CALLUM Simpson is set to fight at Oakwell for a European title this weekend, then hopes to return next year for a world title fight.
The 28-year-old is due to compete for the vacant super-middleweight title against Italian Ivan Zucco on Saturday evening live on Sky.
It will be his second bout at Oakwell after winning both the British and Commonwealth titles in August last year in front of 7,000 people.
The majority of the 15,000 tickets available for this fight had been sold as of Thursday but they will still be on sale on Friday and Saturday.
Simpson told the Chronicle: “When I did the ring walk last time at Oakwell, I thought: ‘how can I lose with this lot behind me?’
“With the passion, emotion and support they showed me there was no way I was losing, and there is no way I am losing on June 7 either.
“It will be another break-out fight.
“James DeGale, Chris Eubank and Nigel Benn have won this title. It would be great to put myself among those names as a European champion.
“I have done it the traditional way of winning the area, British and Commonwealth title and now the European title.
“I want to keep pushing forward.
“I am ranked in the top ten with all four world governing bodies and a win will put me further up.
“I want to bring a world title back to Barnsley next year.
“We’ve done British now European and there’s no reason, with the trajectory I’m on, that I can’t do the world next.”
On ticket sales, Simpson said: “It will be the biggest boxing event in South Yorkshire other than Kell Brook at Bramall Lane.
“If this fight was at Sheffield Arena, we would have sold it out weeks ago.
“It’s amazing I am doing this at this stage of my career but that’s credit and testament to the support that I have got.
“Everyone knows people from Barnsley are last-minute.
“I always sell a lot of tickets just before fights.
“I am sure a lot of people will rush to get tickets late on.”
Simpson is pleased to be part of an event that will boost his hometown’s profile and wealth.
He said: “There are loads of people who missed the last fight but, because they saw the atmosphere or their friends have told them about it, they want to make this one.
“People are thanking me for what I am doing for Barnsley.
“Most of the hotels and AirBnbs are fully-booked, there are loads of bookings for restaurants and the bars will be full.
“It’s good for the Barnsley economy and the town centre as well.
“It’s bigger than just boxing.
“It will generate hundreds of thousands of pounds for local businesses.”
Doors open at 4pm with the undercard due to start at 4.30pm while Simpson is due to walk to the ring after 9pm.
The weigh-in is today at 1pm outside the Glass Works.