Conor Hourihane is hoping for one more signing before Barnsley begin their League One season at Plymouth Argyle on Saturday.

The Reds have so far brought in five players this summer in Murphy Cooper, Nathanael Ogbeta, Reyes Cleary, David McGoldrick and Caylan Vickers.

Hourihane told the Chronicle: “I am hoping maybe for one before Plymouth to add to the squad, fingers crossed. I don’t think we’ll get two (this week). I know there is an area where we’re potentially short where we need some supply in pretty quickly. Then we’ll gage it after that.”

Barnsley have no players in the squad who have previously played as a right-back regularly but – having moved on wing-backs Corey O’Keeffe, Barry Cotter and Kyran Lofthouse –Mael de Gevigney has moved to right-back in a back four from centre-back.

Hourihane said: “I think we need one on top of Mael. If we play a back four, I only see Mael playing right-back. I know he can play centre half if needed. But I think he can be a very good right-back. At times, he’s the one who stays at home and makes us look like a back three with Nate (Ogbeta) being really aggressive with his positioning.

“Do we need another right-back? Absolutely, and it’s one we’re definitely in the market for.

“I really like Kyran and Corey as guys but I see them as wing-backs, the same with Barry Cotter and we’re moving away from the back five. I wish them all the best.”

Barnsley are understood to have had a bid rejected for Cheltenham winger Jordan Thomas last week. Asked about him, Hourihane told the Chronicle: “There is nothing I can necessarily say on that but we may look for a winger in general. We have Reyes and Caylan and Neil Farrugia has done really well and looks like a new signing. We need a winger but I don’t think we’re very close to that.”

articlempu1

Hourihane confirmed no bids had been accepted for the likes of Luca Connell and Davis Keillor-Dunn. The Reds had been expected to sell players this summer but no one has met their valuation.

Hourihane said: “I think the squad at the minute is in a really good place and there's definitely lots of good footballers at the club who are assets who clubs will be looking at no doubt.

"But, until I am told any different, everyone is in the building and ready to go for the weekend."

articlempu2

Hourihane confirmed Josh Earl and Luca Connell are over the injuries they suffered during pre-season. He said: “There was a big precaution over the those two, they are very important players. We didn’t want to take any risks. They are both back in training and in good places.”