THE family of a former furnace worker who died from asbestos‑related cancer have launched a quest for answers - as they prepare to mark the first anniversary of his death.
Roy Milnes, from Penistone, died of mesothelioma, a terminal form of cancer, usually of the lining of the lung associated with asbestos exposure, often decades previously.
It was only after the 82-year-old’s death that his cancer was diagnosed during a post-mortem examination.
An inquest recorded advanced mesothelioma as the cause of death and concluded that the dad-of-three died as a result of industrial disease.
Following Roy’s death, his wife of 59 years, Maureen, aged 81, instructed specialist asbestos‑related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate his illness and where his asbestos exposure took place.
Maureen is now joining with her legal team in using Workers’ Memorial Day on Tuesday - the anniversary of Roy’s death - to appeal to her husband’s ex-colleagues for information about the working conditions he faced.
They are particularly keen to hear from anyone with information about former steel manufacturer Samuel Fox and Co in Stocksbridge, Sheffield, and Hepworth Iron, also known as Hepworth Pipe, based near Penistone, where Roy worked.
Nick Woods, the legal expert at Irwin Mitchell representing Maureen, said: “Roy’s death is another tragic reminder of the terrible legacy asbestos has created.
“What’s particularly distressing for Maureen and the family is that Roy’s diagnosis was only confirmed after he had died.
“While nothing can make up for their loss, we’re determined to provide them with the answers they deserve.
“If any of Roy’s former workmates could come forward with information about the conditions he faced, it could prove vital in establishing how he was exposed and would mean a great deal to his loved ones.”
Roy worked as a furnace wrecker at Samuel Fox and Co between 1965 and 1967.
His family believe he may have been exposed to asbestos when stripping - and potentially rebuilding or relining - furnaces, as well as through general exposure in the working environment such as from lagged pipes.
He later worked as a kiln firer at Hepworth Iron from 1968 to 1978 and it is suspected Roy may have been exposed to asbestos from lagged steam pipes and from inside kilns which were used for drying clay pipes.
Roy, who had three children - Dawn, Sharron and Paul - began to feel unwell in summer 2024 and was was admitted to hospital suffering breathlessness, fatigue and reduced mobility.
However, once discharged he continued to deteriorate and he died in Barnsley Hospice.
Maureen added: “Roy was an absolutely wonderful husband and dad - he was the figurehead of our family and worked hard to provide for us.
“It was heartbreaking watching him become so unwell.
“We knew something was wrong, but nothing prepared us for us being told he had mesothelioma when he died.
“The last 12 months and coming to terms with his death and the circumstances surrounding it has been incredibly difficult.
“Our family isn’t the same without Roy.
“We still miss him every day - we know nothing can bring him back, but we just want answers about how he was exposed to asbestos.
“It’s the least he deserves and finding out the truth will also provide some form of closure for us.
“I’d never heard of mesothelioma until I was told of Roy’s diagnosis, but our family now knows first-hand how dreadful an illness it is.
“If anyone who worked with Roy can remember the conditions or materials being used at the time, it would mean so much to us.”