A SCHOOL has sparked a furious backlash from parents after announcing it will ban routine toilet breaks during lessons - claiming pupils have racked up more than 30,000 bathroom visits this academic year alone. Barnsley Academy leaders issued a letter to parents and carers revealing that 32,217 toilet trips since September 2025 have resulted in over 5,300 hours of lost learning. Senior vice principal Julian Mellor defended the strict new policy - set to take effect next month - stating that the ‘unsustainable’ level of disruption directly undermines academic progress and disadvantages pupils preparing for exams. Outraged parents attended a meeting at the school on Tuesday evening to protest the changes, which will restrict bathroom visits to ‘one-off emergency passes’ in exceptional circumstances or for those with verified medical evidence. Some parents have slammed the policy as a violation of basic human rights, raising serious concerns over the school's limited toilet facilities, the impact on girls during their menstrual cycles, and instances of bullying in communal school bathrooms. In the letter seen by the Chronicle, Mr Mellor, said the decision had been taken to improve pupils’ education outcomes. “Our priority at Barnsley Academy is high-quality learning in every lesson, for every pupil,” it said. “However, we are currently experiencing an unsustainable level of toilet use during teaching time. “This academic year alone, we have recorded 32,217 logged toilet visits during lessons, as of May 12. “In practical terms, a single toilet visit typically results in around a minimum of ten minutes of lost learning - time spent leaving the classroom, waiting, using the facilities and settling back into the lesson. “This equates to approximately 322,170 minutes, or 5,369 hours of lost learning time, across the academy. “The cumulative impact on the academic progress of our pupils is considerable - analysis shows that for those without a toilet pass, pupils who choose not to access the toilet during lesson time make the strongest progress academically. “Furthermore, lost curriculum time affects not only the pupil who leaves the lesson but also creates ongoing disruption to the learning environment for others. “Over time, this directly undermines academic progress and places pupils at a disadvantage, particularly as they prepare for examinations and for life beyond school. “We want everyone to achieve their very best - maximising learning time in lessons is essential if pupils are to fulfil their potential.” According to the guidance, ‘routine toilet use’ will not be permitted and ‘one-off emergency passes’ will only be issued in ‘exceptional circumstances’. “The use of such passes will be closely monitored,” the letter added. One parent, who did not wish to be named, spoke on behalf of a group and urged the school to re-think the decision having said there were just over a dozen toilets available for the setting’s 900 youngsters. She told the Chronicle afterwards that parents were ‘outraged’. “On the parents’ Facebook page there are a lot of parents worried about the number of toilets available, the amount of pupils accessing them in just a 15-minute break times and a 45-minute lunch break. “Other concerns also relate to girls during their menstrual cycle - the embarrassment of explaining this in front of the class to the teacher doesn’t bear thinking about. “Others have stated their children feel intimidated by other pupils and don’t use the toilets at break and some have had doors kicked open by others so don’t access them at break times for this reason. “We feel it is a basic human right to be given access to toilet facilities when required, not on demand, and that in a workplace this would be allowed. “The school argue repeatedly that they’re preparing them for working life with rules but then implement rules that would not be imposed in a workplace.” A spokesperson for the school told the Chronicle that leaders were keen to ‘get the balance right’. “We are currently undergoing a consultation with parents about the changes we are looking to make, which are common in many schools across the country. “We want to ensure that we get the balance right to meet the needs of everyone in the school. “As part of this consultation, we have written to parents to give them advance notice of when we plan to introduce changes so that those children who have a medical or other defined need have sufficient time to provide the appropriate certification for this. “The announcement and the rationale for the change has been widely understood across the school with the overwhelming majority of parents looking to work in partnership with us to ensure we get this right.
"As an additional measure, we held a meeting on Tuesday for any parents who were concerned about what we are introducing or who wished to discuss this with us.
“Ten parents attended the meeting and we were appreciative of the constructive discussion we were able to have.”