WORSBROUGH Common people have been told when they will be rehoused even though they haven't officially been told their homes will be demolished.

Council tenants in the Bruce Avenue area have been waiting to hear their fate for about four years and cannot have repair work done until regeneration plans are finalised and approved.

They have been told no decisions have been made about their future but a recent letter from Berneslai Homes gave them a timetable of events which stated that the rehousing programme will to begin in February 2008.

The letter was read out a residents' meeting in Highstone Road working men's club on Wednesday night.

It led to more than 50 fed up members of the community signing a petition to demand answers, in person, from Berneslai officers.

The officers had been due to attend but were stopped by senior management because a leaflet advertising the meeting had been deemed political in its criticism of independent councillors.

The latest request for information has come from the residents themselves, leading Barnsley Independent Group councillor Malcolm Price to say he will support the cause.

A number of people at the meeting complained about the poor state of their homes, giving examples of ceilings blackened with damp, rotting window frames and inadequate bathrooms.

articlempu1

Berneslai Homes says a ‘master plan’ for the whole of Worsbrough will be put to the council and consultation with residents will begin in April or May.