A COUNCILLOR is demanding a public apology after he was promised Darfield Post Office would reopen this week.

The Post Office wrote to Coun David Wainwright and issued a statement to the Chronicle earlier this month saying it would reopen at 9am on Monday.

Several customers were waiting but it did not open and the shutters were still down yesterday. A Post Office spokesperson told the Chronicle this week that it will be closed until further notice but refused to give further details about why it didn't open.

Coun Wainwright, who previously described the response from the Post Office as 'abysmal' said he was absolutely disgusted with 'the latest twist in the tale'.

In a letter sent to Royal Mail on Monday, he said: "To my utter dismay and disgust the post office did not open. People were arriving to do business and expressed their anger.

"The actions of the Post Office have been that of contempt and disrespect for the people of Darfield.

"I would expect a formal public apology for what can only be described as a shambolic and inefficient service for your customers."

Another concern is without the post office other businesses and amenities will suffer.

articlempu1

The PO closed at the end of January following a robbery causing extensive damage.