VICTIMS of last year's devastating floods will present a petition to council chiefs at Barnsley town hall this afternoon.

More than 100 residents from Low Valley, Darfield and Darton had planned to march through Barnsley Town Centre reaching the town hall at about 2.30pm but were told by police that due to health and safety this was not possible.

Chairman of the Low Valley flood commitee, Pete Bradshaw, said: "It is a shame that we cannot walk to the town hall as planned but it would take too long to get the insurance we need. We want to make the point now so we can get things moving as soon as possible."

Sue Bradshaw, chief organiser, from Stonyford Road, said: "Our requests are simple, erect flood defences where the rivers broke their banks, dredge the rivers and clear them of rubbish on a regular basis."

Six representatives including Susan and Peter Bradshaw have also organised a trip to London to present the petition to Prime Minister Gordon Brown on Thursday October 16.

Today's presentation will take place between 2.45pm and 3pm at the town hall.