CALLUM Simpson was thrilled with his impressive television debut and says he was inspired by watching Barnsley FC beat Sheffield Wednesday earlier in the week.

The 26-year-old super middleweight from Barnsley stopped Swiss opponent Celso Neves in the third round on Saturday at the Manchester Arena.

He was backed by a noisy contingent of fans from his home town who he hopes will now follow him on a journey to the very top of the sport.

Simpson told the Chronicle: “I have been to shows before when you walk out and it’s a little bit quiet but Barnsley made noise for me and turned up.

“When I walked out, it was a massive roar and everyone was chanting ‘you Reds’ and ‘Yorkshire’. I loved it.

“It was a good feeling to know my town is behind me.

“I sold hundreds of tickets from the Barnsley area.

“I know a lot of people watched it on TV in Barnsley. I remember watching boxing in the Garrison saying ‘that’s going to be me one day’ and now it is. It’s a good feeling.

articlempu1

“The support has been unbelievable and it’s massively appreciated.”

Simpson further endeared himself to the Barnsley public when, in his post-fight interview, he corrected the interviewer who described him as being from Sheffield by saying: “I’m not from Sheffield, I’m from Barnsley.”

Barnsley defender Liam Kitching walked with Simpson to the ring and sat ringside, having scored the final goal in a 4-2 win over Sheffield Wednesday four days earlier at Oakwell to keep the Reds in contention for automatic promotion in League One.

articlempu2

They know each other through Kitching’s brother Guy, also a professional boxer, while about ten of the Barnsley players were in attendance.

Simpson said after the fight: “Kitch got a very good goal on Tuesday and I was there to see it in a wicked atmosphere.

“There are big things happening for sport in Barnsley.

articlempu3

“Just seeing the passion from the fans at Oakwell – you can’t beat it. They are passing it over to me.

“It gave me a good boost and motivation for my fight.

“It was a great week for the town. Hopefully by the time I fight again in late spring or early summer, they have been promoted.”

Simpson knocked his opponent down inside the first minute after a powerful right hand to the head.

He floored him again with another right-handed shot in the third round and the referee called the fight off.

It was his 11th successive win as a professional.

“I am very delighted. It was a good performance.

“I dropped him in the first round, took my foot off the gas in the second and got to business again in the third – put that pressure back on him and I dropped him again. It looked like he could have carried on but that referee has seen me drop people before, let them carry on then I have dropped them again. He knows how ruthless I can be when I have got people hurt.”

The fight was Simpson’s debut on television after signing with Sky Sports and promoter BOXXER.

“I have loved it. It’s been amazing.

“I feel like I am made for this.

“I feel like I have worked very hard to get to this point.

“Hopefully everyone enjoyed what they saw and it will only get bigger and better for me.

“Hopefully I will be out late spring early summer.

“I don’t know what fight I will have next but, by the end of this year, I want the English title and to be mandatory for the British. This fight gave me a little taste of what’s to come.”