Residents are unable to sleep at night after a derelict house on Welland Crescent was torched for the third time.

 

Locals said they don't feel safe and want the roofless house and the neighbouring property, both of which are owned by absentee landlords, to be demolished.

 

Dawn Burgess, 42, said: "It's the third time the derelict ones have been set on fire. I was sat in my living room and heard the fire engine. It was well alight. They had to bust through the bottom window with an axe to get the water in to start putting it out.

 

"We've always thought it's bored kids. I had two sheds set on fire four weeks ago. If the fire engine had been here five minutes later the house would've been on fire."

 

articlempu1

Fire-fighters from Tankersley attended the incident at 10.40pm on Tuesday. They were there until about midnight and believe the fire was deliberate.

 

Full story in the Hoyland edition.