ALMOST a dozen drivers have been hit with traffic offence reports by South Yorkshire Police after driving dangerously in the town centre earlier this year - and a local councillor says she has ‘zero tolerance’ for those putting people in danger.

During the snowy conditions on January 6, a large group of vehicles gathered at County Way car park in the town centre.

The drivers saw the car park covered with a blanket of snow and proceeded to drive at speed, undertaking dangerous manoeuvres, with a collision narrowly missed.

A total of 11 traffic offence reports (TORs) were handed out to motorists last week following the event.

Those who receive the report will either attend a safe and considerate drivers course, in lieu of prosecution, be handed a fixed fine of £100 and three penalty points or attend a court hearing where the maximum penalty is a fine of up to £5,000 and between three and nine points or a disqualification.

Sergeant Paul Allen, from Barnsley’s district support hub, said: “We have worked closely with the council using their extensive CCTV coverage of the area to identify the drivers involved.

“The driving of the vehicles around car parks at speed is often described as antisocial behaviour, however elements of this are an offence which constitutes driving without due care and attention or careless and inconsiderate driving.

“We receive many calls every year surrounding the use of public spaces by avid car users and their behaviour.

articlempu1

“Unfortunately across the country, there have been instances where people have lost their lives at such meetings, and so we take our responsibility to stop this behaviour seriously.

“TORs aim to show how dangerous and careless driving is and ultimately how seriously we take it.

“Many drivers may think this was harmless fun, but in reality a serious collision could have occurred with people getting injured.”

articlempu2

Central ward councillors Nicola Sumner, Janine Moyes and Martin O’Donoghue have all backed the police’s plan - and are urging residents to report incidents when they see them.

Coun Sumner told the Chronicle: “I am delighted to see this action taken by the police.

“Antisocial behaviour is a real scourge on our communities but dangerous driving endangers life.

articlempu3

“I have zero tolerance for both.

“I am particularly pleased to see the police working together with the council on this to get the CCTV evidence off us.

“Some residents understandably get fed up about lack of policing and perceived lack of action but with the resources the police and council have, they are doing their best.

“I have had complaints from local residents about the noise in the car park at night.

“I’m glad for them, that this might help give them some peace from it.

“Barnsley is a welcoming town on the up.

“The town centre looks amazing and we need to protect that investment by the council and keep our residents and visitors safe.”

Over the latest 12-month period, officers from Barnsley Central’s Neighbourhood Policing Team have been called to 562 incidents of antisocial behaviour, equating to 12.3 per cent of all the crimes they attend.

Paul Davis, Barnsley’s Safer Neighbourhood Services manager, added: “We will work with the police where we uncover evidence of antisocial behaviour.

“The CCTV footage that captured the antisocial behaviour was crucial in obtaining a positive outcome for the police in this case.

“This will act as a deterrent for others who use their vehicles in an antisocial manner.”