PLANS to build properties on ‘safeguarded land’ in Wombwell - which councillors say will undermine the council’s own local plan development blueprint - should go ahead if the council are to meet government targets, developers say.
Earlier this year, number of residents received leaflets regarding a proposed development for ‘much-needed’ homes off Pit Lane.
Crest Nicholson, a home-building company based in Surrey, were responsible for the leaflets and plans suggest that a large development could be built at the site.
However, it has sparked concern due to the land being marked in the Local Plan as ‘safeguarded land’, meaning it should not be built on until at least 2033.
Wombwell’s three councillors - Brenda Eastwood, Robert Frost and James Higginbottom - expressed their concerns over the proposals at the time.
And outline planning permission is now being sought in regards to access only.
This means the developer is only asking for the principle of residential development and the access into the site to be considered at this stage so issues such as layout, design of houses and landscaping are not being considered as part of this application.
A report states: “The site would be accessed via the realignment and upgrading of Pit Lane, with access retained to the remainder of Pit Lane via the provision of a priority junction onto the proposed spine road.
“In February 2025, Cavendish Consulting undertook a social media campaign on behalf of Crest Nicholson regarding interest for new homes in the Wombwell area.
“Whilst this did gain some views from the local community, it was not site specific and is therefore not elaborated upon further.
“Turning towards site specific community engagement, a leaflet drop was undertaken on April 3 to circa 400 homes in the vicinity of the site.
“The leaflet contained details of the site’s context, the development proposals and included a site location plan.
“Residents were given two ways of providing comments - via an electric feedback form on Johnson Mowat’s website or via email.
“A total of 16 responses were received.”
The report has responded to concerns around the site being ‘safeguarded land’.
It said: “We are aware that the vast majority of the site is designated as safeguarded land (SL20).
“Safeguarded land is intended to help meet the Borough’s long term housing need and it is expected that safeguarded land sites would be brought forward as part of a local plan review.
“However, a shortfall of housing in the borough has been identified and the council are unable to deliver the requisite five-year housing land supply.
“In the context of a housing delivery shortfall, the council should seek to deliver sustainable development sites such as land at Pit Lane, Wombwell.”
Couns Higginbottom, Eastwood and Frost told the Chronicle: “We have been notified that an outline planning application has been submitted in respect of the land off Pit Lane.
“Residents in the consultation area will now have their opportunity to take part in the consultation exercise and we would strongly encourage everyone to have their say.
“As local councillors, we will be making our views known on the application, not least as the site is question is identified as ‘safeguarded land’ in the Barnsley local plan which runs until 2033.
“Developing safeguarded sites during the lifetime of the current local plan risks undermining it as a whole.”