BARNSLEY could be set for a busy deadline day as they look to bring in at least two new signings while keeping their star men.

The summer transfer window is due to close on Monday at 7pm.

The Reds have signed seven players this window, with forward and centre-back areas they are understood to want to strengthen further in.

Southampton forward Dom Ballard is thought to be one of their options in attack.

Head coach Conor Hourihane said on Thursday there was ‘nothing on the horizon’ in terms of signings before Saturday’s game against Huddersfield Town, hinting most of the business could be done on deadline day.

Hourihane told the Chronicle: “It’s important to get the right people in the right positions, not just make signings for the sake of it.

“Over the last few weeks it’s gone a little bit quiet because nothing has come up I have jumped at.

“I am hoping over the next couple of days, those couple of bodies I want will be in the building and ready for the next few months ahead.”

articlempu1

The Reds had been expected to sell star players this summer but, as of this week, no club was thought to have hit their valuation for the likes of Davis Keillor-Dunn, Adam Phillips or Luca Connell. Hourihane said there had been no new bids as of Thursday.

The Reds are thought to have told clubs they want a significant multi-million deal for Keillor-Dunn, in line with some of their club record sales, while they rejected several bids for Connell from Wycombe Wanderers earlier in the window.

Asked if there would be a cut-off point over the next few days when they would commit to keeping everyone, Hourihane told the Chronicle: “Money always talks in football.

articlempu2

“You hear clubs saying ‘he’s not for sale’ and ‘we won’t find a replacement’. Money is always the talker.

“There is no time limit on it (when they would refuse to sell a player before the deadline).

“But I think our players are in a good place and fingers crossed we’ll have a really good squad on Monday ready for the international break.”

articlempu3

Fringe players could be loaned out or sold. Nigerian international midfielder Kelechi Nwakali is not part of Hourihane’s plans and the Reds are trying to find him a new club.

Several international windows are open after the EFL deadline.

Hourihane told the Chronicle: “Nothing is close but I think all parties know that hopefully the outcome come Monday is that he moves on.”

Third choice goalkeeper Jackson Smith is likely to be loaned again but, if he does not find an EFL club to join, the National League window, which stays open for longer, is thought to be an option. He had a trial with non-league Forest Green Rovers earlier in the month, with a view to a loan.

Hourihane is hoping to add depth to his squad, which has been lacking in certain positions during a busy eight-game August.

“It’s been relentless. The squad needs a little bit of help. People are playing a few minutes more than they should be.”

The head coach said the Reds were looking at ‘a mix’ of loan deals and permanent signings. They currently have three loan players, with five allowed in a matchday squad.

“Ideally I would love players to be ours. But the later it goes with so little time left, a permanent signing that doesn’t happen may turn into a loan for someone else.”