CONOR Hourihane does not see Kelechi Nwakali breaking back into his Barnsley first team while he has explained why he loaned out young striker Leo Farrell.

Nwakali, the Nigerian international midfielder, joined the Reds on a three-year contract last summer and played 26 games last season.

But the 27-year-old has not featured at all for Hourihane’s first team this season, following what the head coach called ‘a scenario that happened from my point of view’ then he later confirmed it was a discipline issue.

The former Arsenal youngster is thought to have been moved into the under 21s training group and has been a regular starter in their games, including this week at Sheffield United.

The Reds had hoped to move him on to a new club this summer but all the transfer windows around Europe are now understood to be closed.

Hourihane told the Chronicle: “Do I see him breaking back in?

“Probably not if I am being totally honest.

“It’s the same message from the summer. We’re looking for the best scenario for club and player.

articlempu1

“I probably don’t see him fitting into the way we want to play – being really energetic, aggressive and high-tempo.

“It’s one that we’re probably going to have discussions with over the next couple of months leading in January.”

Meanwhile, Farrell scored on his return to loan club Guiseley on Saturday. The 19-year-old netted a consolation strike in a 4-1 defeat to Ilkeston in the Northern Premier League.

articlempu2

He joined last Friday, on a deal until January 3, having netted seven goals in 15 games with Guiseley last season.

Farrell has played three times in cup games for the Reds’ first team this season and was on the league bench once without coming on.

He had been the third choice natural striker behind Davis Keillor-Dunn and David McGoldrick, although midfielders have also been used up front.

articlempu3

Hourihane told the Chronicle: “I really like Faz.

“The big thing for me to let him out on loan was to get an agreement with the club he’s going to that he can come back and play in the Vertu Trophy games.

“I wouldn’t have let him out if he wasn’t allowed back for those games against Manchester United under 21s and Lincoln.

“For him to get regular gametime and also help us in terms of numbers in those games, I think it’s good for all parties.”

Barnsley have had two weeks to react to the 2-2 draw at Wycombe in which they were 2-0 up on 88 minutes.

Hourihane said: “It’s like any game but we have had more time to dwell on it and understand it and learn from it.

“We reviewed and watched it. We had an important period when we said what can we improve on from it.

“Hopefully we come back stronger.”

The Reds have conceded seven goals in their last five games after the 86th minute.

Hourihane said: “We’ve been working on the late period of games and how we manage that, giving the players clarity.

“We want to make the next scenario more comfortable.”

On the season in general, Hourihane said: “We’re in a decent position.

“We would have liked to have been in a better one because of the start we had.

“But I can work with it.

“People probably expected worse.

“The four or five games we’ve not done well looks like a bad period but, if you mix it up with the rest of the season, it just looks a bit of inconsistency.

“We’re trying to get better and the plan is to improve over the next ten games.”

Goalkeeper Jackson Smith was loaned out to National League Rochdale for seven days and made his debut in their 2-1 home loss against York City in the FA Cup on Saturday. The stopper joined on a seven-day emergency loan. He has since returned to Barnsley for training.