TWO new schools for youngsters with special educational needs have been officially shelved in favour of using the cash to create up to 200 new places across the town.

Cabinet members on Wednesday saw the acceptance of £9.4m of government funding which is set to expand current facilities to reduce out-of-borough placements.

The council previously supported plans for a new special free school, Inspire Academy, to be run by Ethos Academy Trust in partnership with Sheffield City Council, alongside a new alternative provision free school led by Delta Academies Trust.

However, councillors were told that waiting for the new schools to be built could delay much-needed places until the end of the decade - and further incur millions spent on placing youngsters outside the borough.

Officers said demand for specialist places is rising sharply and as of last month, 136 children were waiting for a special school place, with others in temporary arrangements due to a lack of local provision.

A council statement said: “This will enable the us to develop multiple new local schemes this year, creating much‑needed specialist places across Barnsley.

“It will ensure more children are educated closer to home in environments that support inclusion, wellbeing and long-term outcomes.”