MORE than 600 workers at Barnsley Hospital are set to vote on strike action after bosses ‘threatened’ almost half the workforce with a fire and re-hire process.

Since August, the ruling trust has been working with union representatives to seek agreement on the proposed move from paid to unpaid breaks.

Workers were involved in a three-week consultation, which ran from late October to mid-November, and saw union members reject the hospital’s preferred outcome.

A letter sent to employees states the changes were being done to ensure ‘consistency and fairness’.

The note - sent jointly by executive directors Sarah Moppett and Steven Ned - said employees had until the end of January to agree to the revised terms or face a ‘dismissal and re-engagement’ phase.

Staff who agreed to the changes would receive benefits but those who do not and are subsequently re-hired under the controversial practice would not have access to those same benefits.

GMB, the union working with the staff at the Gawber Road site, say that the majority of those affected are nursing staff working on the wards.

It was announced last month that hundreds of workers took part in a ballot which sought to find out their views on potential industrial action.

articlempu1

It resulted in more than 97 per cent of staff voting in favour, according to union GMB.

The union says the hospital want to impose new contracts upon thousands of staff, including nurses, technicians and clerical workers, removing their right to a paid 20-minute shift break.

However, leaders at the Gawber site said GMB had not undertaken a formal ballot - and two-thirds of its impacted workforce have already signed revised contracts.

articlempu2

It has now been confirmed that more than 600 workers will take part in the formal ballot which will close on April 10.

GMB organiser Joe Wheatley said: “Barnsley NHS workers are angry - and rightly so.

“They do a vital job looking after our community - they don’t deserve to have their breaks ripped away and worse contracts forced on them.

articlempu3

“Trust bosses must listen to their staff and change course.

“If not, they could be facing walk-outs soon.”

A hospital spokesperson said: “We continue to engage in discussions with colleagues, GMB and other trade unions with a view to resolving this matter.

“Staff wellbeing is a priority for the trust. Over 1,100 staff have already agreed to revised terms of employment which bring them in line with nationally agreed terms and conditions for staff in the NHS.”