TWO BARNSLEY fighters are due in action this weekend to kick off what is hoped to be a big summer for the sport in the town.
Jake Jon Cleary, from Wombwell, is due to fight in Sheffield on Saturday at the same time as Elliott Bridges, from Bolton-upon-Dearne, is set to make his debut on a show in Batley.
Six weeks later, Callum Simpson is due to headline a show at Leeds Arena in a rematch with Troy Williamson for the British and Commonwealth super-middleweight titles.
Asked if he would like more Barnsley fighters on his next undercard, Simpson told the Chronicle: “100 per cent definitely. I always try to support the local guys and girls and give them opportunities.
“I will definitely try to do that again. Jake Jon Cleary got an amazing win last time out and so did Cory Sagar.
“You never know there might be more Barnsley fighters on the show.”
Cleary gained a shock win on the last show in Leeds. He said: “We will take it one fight at a time but I think I more than impressed on the last one with fight of the night. If a call comes with a fight that makes sense, we will take it.
“We’re in the game for big nights like that.”
Cleary is set to take on Spain-based Nicaraguan Josue Bendana over six rounds at The Old Forge.
The 28-year-old postal worker from Wombwell has won all six of his professional fights so far, including at the Metrodome in March. Bendana, 30, has won ten and lost 37 of his 51 fights.
Cleary said: “I am looking forward to it. It’s been a long camp since the last fight, I am excited to showcase the work I have been doing.
“We had a couple of different people lined up.
“We tried getting an eight-rounder, then someone who had a winning record but they both fell through.
“He’s experienced and has a good number of wins on his record. At this stage of my career, it’s someone who is credible and a good building block.
“If it goes the distance, so be it.
“We just look for another good performance. I will be looking to counter-attack off my good head movement and work well to the body.”
Cleary had a shot at the International Commonwealth title scheduled on May 29 in Scotland but the opponent pulled out.
“It was a kick in the in the teeth but these are the little tests you go through.
“To be fighting for a title in your seventh bout would have been unheard-of.
“We felt we could go there and win. We’re over it and we move forward.
“We want titles and we will work towards title fights hopefully at the back end of this year. I just want to keep developing and entertain people.”
Middleweight Bridges is due to fight at rugby league club Batley Bulldogs’ stadium against journeyman Josh Cook who has won one of 68 fights.