Angry councillors have blasted vandals who set fire to a settee in a playground, ruining a set of swings.
North east councillor Dorothy Higginbottom said she was sickened after the burnt remains were discovered on Tuesday.
"They're just mindless idiots," she said.
"What's wrong with them?
The play area has been a target for arson during the last 12 months and Barnsley Council says it will cost about £6,500 to replace the swing set. The zip line has also been vandalised twice within the last year, costing £4,000 to repair the first time it was damaged, the council says. It will now be a removed.
Coun Dave North said the line had been broken for some time and kids had been using a rope tied to the wire - making the slide very dangerous.
"The park itself is an absolute disgrace," he said.
"The people that have done it should be ashamed of themselves."
Coun Roy Miller, cabinet spokesman, said the council could not keep stumping up cash to repair damaged equipment.
The council said the junior play area was to be resurfaced this week using section 106 money cash from housing developers to improve the community.But this has been put on hold while officers assess the fire damage. There were also plans to replace old bins and play equipment but this is now in question.