MORE than 140 homes in Worsbrough Common are under threat of demolition despite overwhelming opposition from the people who live in them.

The residents are furious their houses have been left out of the decent homes improvement programme.

On Wednesday acting chief executive of Berneslai Homes Steve Davis admitted repairs and improvements to the houses had not been made because it would be a waste of money if they were to be demolished.

Members of the public had gathered in Highstone Road working men's club for a meeting with Berneslai staff and its chairman Coun John Parkinson.

They wanted to find out what the future held for those living on Bruce Avenue, Mount Vernon Avenue, Frederick Place and Mount Close flats.

But their questions remained unanswered as Mr Davis and his colleagues told them nothing had been ‘set in stone’ and promised there would be full consultation before it was.

One resident retaliated: "If there are no plans set in stone then why can't you get the repairs done?"

Residents on the four streets have grown bitter watching workmen fix up neighbours’ homes but not their own.

articlempu1

Mick Taylor, of Bruce Avenue, said: “It’s sickening. I think they're after wiping us out, I can’t see any other reason why they've not touched our houses for more than 20 years.”