BLOCKED drains and a controversial wall were to blame for houses flooding last month according to the worst hit homeowners.

And residents on Welland Crescent, Elsecar are angry the council have taken no action to prevent further flooding on their estate.

Kath Day, 32, of Welland Crescent said she had called the council on several occasions but was told they had higher priorities.

She said: “I was quite rudely told that they'd get round to it when they could and in the meantime I have had to put sandbags down.

“Every night when I hear it raining I'm worried my house is going to fill with water again.”

Kath believes that the blocked road drains were the main cause of flooding but that a 5ft wall at the back of her property has increased the problems.

She said: “The water is just going down the drain in the road and coming back up on the drive and onto our property.

“I came here on the Tuesday morning after the worst and the councillors came over.

articlempu1

“We told them about the wall on the back and nobody has contacted me since.”

The controversial wall was built by Colin Barker of Welland Crescent after he bought land from the former National Coal Board in 2003.

But Colin insists the drains are to blame as the area had flooded long before the wall was built.

articlempu2