THE annual horse fair which has caused controversy in previous years is returning to Wombwell and residents are annoyed they were not told of plans to stage it on their doorsteps.
Up to 1,000 people are expected to attend the event on the Aldham House Lane field on Saturday April 12.
Residents and local councillors are outraged that they were not consulted.
One resident, who did not want to be named, said: "It seems it's been rushed through without any consideration for the people who live here and pay council tax. Are we going to be able to get in and out of our houses? Will the road be shut? We don't know because absolutely nobody has come to talk to us about it.
"It seems mean to say we don't want them to use the field when we put up with other events like the funfair. I suppose if it's a 9-5 event and it's cleared up, and we're able to get on with our lives then we'd be happy with it. But we just don't know what it's going to be like, or who is going to come."
Three years ago it was held unannounced and without permission in Wombwell town centre and caused chaos. Last year it was held with approval from the council, in Broomhill on a disused road, and was deemed a success, but organisers want more space this year.
Richard Smith, of the Ings Road caravan site, is the event's main organiser. He is expecting a crowd of between 500 and 1,000.