A WOMAN working for the Central Safer Neighbourhood Team has been attacked from behind as she went about her duties in Locke Park.

The woman, an impact warden whose roles include curbing anti social behaviour, had been running an event for youths in the park on Wednesday and was walking through the park afterwards.

She was punched several times and needed hospital treatment. The attacker, a young man, called her a ‘police b**ch’ before assaulting her.

SNT boss Paul Brannan said the attack was cowardly.

He said: “We are all taken aback by this and shocked because it is the first time anything so significant has happened.

“It’s sickening. It was a woman, on her own, doing her job. It was a cowardly attack because he has come from behind. This will not be tolerated and we will bring down the highest possible sanction on this person.”