BARNSLEY are set to enter the final fortnight of the transfer window looking to recruit in several areas but are not panicking about their mounting injuries in defence.

The window is set to shut in 17 days on Monday, September 1.

The Reds have so far brought in seven new players – with the latest being right-back Tennai Watson – while none of their star men had been sold as of Thursday after exits were expected going into the summer.

They are thought to be looking at a centre-back, following the long-term injury to Marc Roberts last week, potentially another forward to support David McGoldrick and Davis Keillor-Dunn, and an extra winger.

As well as the Roberts injury, Mael de Gevigney was wearing a protective boot while watching the EFL Cup win over Fleetwood on Wednesday due to a sprained ankle and is a doubt for Saturday’s game with Bolton.

Hourihane told the Chronicle: “It doesn’t necessarily change anything. Mael won’t be out for long.

“He’ll be touch and go for Saturday, so we’ll just see how the next couple of weeks pan out in terms of signings all over the pitch.

“We’re not blessed with huge numbers but it has been important to give people just a bit of a breather at the right time (for the Fleetwood game).”

articlempu1

The other centre-back options are Josh Earl, Jack Shepherd and Connor Barratt.

Earlier in the week, Hourihane told the Chronicle: “We’re looking for good players around the squad.

“We’re looking for a little bit more quality that can add that little bit of depth.”

articlempu2

He added: “It can change every single day. One minute you think there’s a deal happening, then next minute it’s off.

“One minute it’s off, then next minute it’s on.”

Asked if winning the first two league games of the season made any change to Barnsley’s approach in the window, Hourihane told the Chronicle: “No.

articlempu3

“It’s still the same scenario and thought process. We’re still pinpointing areas we need to improve.

“Hopefully if we can get that done between now and the end of the window we’ll be in a decent place.”

The Reds looked set to sell star players this summer but have so far kept the likes of Keillor-Dunn, captain Luca Connell – for whom there have been several bids rejected – and Adam Phillips as they hold out for their valuation on all players.

Midfielder Jon Russell, who has a year remaining on his contract, has been left out of the starting 11 for league games so far this season despite netting nine goals for the Reds and Jamaica since April including one in the midweek cup tie. He was linked with a move away earlier this summer.

Goalkeeper Jackson Smith has been on trial with National League Forest Green Rovers for a day this week.

It was with a view to a loan move but he is thought to have since returned to Oakwell. The 23-year-old signed last year on a four-year deal but has been third choice for much of his time at Oakwell and has not featured in the matchday squad so far this season.

Midfielder Kelechi Nwakali is expected to be moved on this summer as he is not part of Hourihane’s current plans.

But it is not clear whether that will be a loan or permanent deal for the Nigeria international who still has two years left on his contract.