Conor Hourihane was disappointed with Barnsley’s loss at AFC Wimbledon but said he was proud of his team’s start to the season overall.

The Reds conceded in both halves as their unbeaten start to the season ended.

Hourihane said: “I thought we were a little bit off in the first half, just not quite there. I said a couple of bits at half-time that we needed to get after them more and change the press.

“Second half, until they scored, we were completely on top. But the second goal completely killed us. It was the first time the had been in our box in the second half. That second goal turned the tide completely.”

Barnsley missed several chances, including good opportunities before each goal.

“The lads have scored in every game I’ve been manager for. How we’ve not scored today is strange because of the amount of chances we’ve created.

articlempu1

“We got a clean sheet on Tuesday. I gave the lads the benefit of the doubt in keeping the same side. That’s maybe learning for me.

“Maybe we should have changed tired bodies. All in all I am very proud of the lads in terms of the start of the season.

“I have told them good teams don’t lose two games in a row so let’s see what they’ve got on Tuesday.”

articlempu2

Asked about new signings in the coming days, he said: “I hope so. If I had a bigger pool to pick from maybe I would have changed things. Today was maybe just one game too far and we need to get a couple of bodies in.

“There are a couple of things ongoing.”

On the 1,206 away fans, Hourihane said:

articlempu3

“Fantastic support. I am gutted for the fans coming down to London and making the most of the weekend. They have seen good results so far. They would have loved to see another one. So would I. It was just one of those days.”