A LOCAL councillor has backed residents’ concerns over the delay in implementing double yellow lines on a ‘dangerous’ stretch of Worsbrough road.

Residents had been calling on the council to make changes to Haverlands Lane for a number of years in a bid to improve safety and reduce congestion.

The proposed restrictions were intended to address ongoing issues with obstructive parking, which has created hazards for drivers, pedestrians, and emergency vehicles.

Despite approval in principle earlier this year the works have not yet been scheduled - much to the frustration of locals.

Les Pierrepoint, 63, told the Chronicle that he has been hit by motorists on the road in the past.

He said: “I’ve been at it for 15 years trying to get something done.

“People just park on the end of the street to either go for a walk or to go to Wigfield Farm.

“It’s really dangerous.

articlempu1

“I’ve been hit in my work van before.

“I have to pull off my drive fully to be able to see because we’ve got a big oak tree but we have issues with parking and driving.”

Les said he was pleased to see something was finally being done to stop the parking - but is concerned about the subsequent lack of action from the council.

articlempu2

“A notice went up on a lamppost saying what work they were going to do,” he added.

“It was passed after two months but it’s been another three months now without anything happening.

“I’ve been told that it’ll be another three months before work is done so that’s six months.

articlempu3

“It’s just not safe.”

Coun Jake Lodge, who represents the Worsbrough ward, has backed residents’ concerns.

He told the Chronicle: “Residents have waited a long time for this safety measure, and I share their frustration at the lack of progress, given that it’s been nearly two months since the TRO was approved and I have been advised that it could be another three months until the lines are painted.

“Haverlands Lane is a busy route where parked vehicles often cause significant visibility and access problems.

“The council must prioritise this work so residents can feel safe and confident using their street. Surely it shouldn’t take five months to deliver this scheme when approval has been given.”

He added that he will be pressing highways officers for a clear timetable and seeking assurances that the scheme will be delivered without further delay.

He also wants to ensure other proposals, including the muted plans for double yellows on Mount Pleasant that he has secured, not to be delayed like this one.

Coun Lodge is encouraging residents to continue reporting parking concerns while the council works to move the scheme forward.

Coun James Higginbottom, cabinet spokesperson for environment and highways, said: “The public consultation period for the Haverlands Lane scheme ran from May 30 to June 20 this year.

“We received no objections to the proposals, therefore the design was finalised and issued to the construction team at the end of July.( “The usual lead time for this type of work is 12 weeks so we are working within our normal timescales to complete the works.

“When completed this scheme will help to tackle the issue of indiscriminate parking on Haverlands Lane and improve road safety for all road users.”