ADAM Phillips says his emphatic deadline day social media post was to allay ‘doubts’ about his commitment to Barnsley.
The midfielder, who has been one of the Reds star players since signing in 2022, was the subject of bids from other clubs during the summer transfer window, but they were all rejected.
He posted on social media on the morning of deadline day on Monday of last week that he was ‘not f****** leaving’.
Phillips told the Chronicle: “Towards the end of last season a lot of people had a bit of doubt about myself. ‘Is he happy at the club?’
“When there was a little bit of speculation etc etc, I just wanted to put it out there that I am happy here and not ready to leave yet. It was a big statement but I am enjoying myself at the minute and looking forward to the rest of the season with Barnsley.”
Phillips admits last season was a difficult one for him and he ‘wasn’t happy with what was going on’ as Barnsley finished 12th after two play-off campaigns. He said: “I wouldn’t say I gave up last year or anything like that.
“The season filtered out a little bit.
“I know Conor (Hourihane, head coach) came in but it wasn’t his group.
“It was a little bit tough. I want to be at the top end of the table fighting for play-offs and promotions. I had to have a think about it over the summer but I have come back in pre-season with a different mindset, enjoying myself, working with Conor and a great group of lads.
“It’s all positive at the moment.”
Phillips was not played by Hourihane for two games in the spring after turning up late to a team meeting, with the new head coach keen to enforce discipline around the club.
Hourihane has since praised Phillips for his attitude and performance.
Phillips told the Chronicle: “Maybe in the past some managers let you off for certain things. I am not saying I let my standards drop but Conor obviously came in with his standards and what he wants. He spoke about it.
“We never fell out. It was just a bit of miscommunication or something.
“We put it to bed pretty early and we’re getting on very well now.”
Phillips has played 139 games for Barnsley, scoring 34 goals and contributing nearly as many assists, with two of each so far this season in all competitions. The former Liverpool youngster, who will turn 28 in January, is out of contract at the end of the season but the Reds have an option of extending the deal for a further year while they are keen to negotiate new deals with some of their star men.
“I enjoy my football here. This is my fourth season. I love playing for Barnsley. I played a lot of games, kept myself fit every year. I get decent numbers. Long may it continue.
“Promotion has obviously been the main aim since I’ve been here. Hopefully this year we can give it a right good go and be at the top end of the table.”
Along with Phillips, captain Luca Connell and top-scorer Davis Keillor-Dunn both stayed despite speculation over their futures this summer.
“Every player has their own ideas.
“I am really close with Luca and Davo. We all came back in pre-season, enjoyed it, liked Conor’s ideas and we’ve all ended up staying which is a good thing for the club. We’re all really happy and all playing well.
“Everything is positive at the minute so hopefully it keeps going that way.”