COUNCILLORS were given an update on bold plans for zero fatalities and serious injuries on Barnsley’s roads by 2050 last week - after it was revealed there were more than 500 casualties in the town last year.

The Department for Transport’s finalised road safety statistics show 550 casualties were recorded on roads in Barnsley in 2024, including 89 pedestrians.

The other casualties includes 337 car occupants, nine van occupants, 27 bus passengers, 31 cyclists, 45 motorcyclists and 12 other road users.

There were six people, including three pedestrians, killed on Barnsley roads last year.

The council adopted their safer roads strategy back in 2023, with the aim of reducing the number of road casualties in the borough by 2030.

The long-term goal was of a zero fatalities or serious injuries by 2050.

Coun James Higginbottom, cabinet spokesperson for environment and highways, said: “It is welcome to see a reduction in the number of fatal collisions on our roads alongside having the lowest number of casualties in the whole of South Yorkshire, but the increase in collisions in general and those who were seriously injured on our roads is concerning.

“One death on our roads is one too many.

articlempu1

“Every life lost is a tragedy, and my heartfelt condolences go out to every family and loved one affected by the devastating impact of a collision.

“We never lose sight of the human cost behind the statistics, and that is why our commitment to making Barnsley’s roads safer remains absolute.

“These figures reinforce why our programme matters and why we are accelerating the measures with the greatest impact.”

articlempu2

At Thursday’s full council meeting, Coun Steve Hunt asked for an update on what the council is doing to ensure the council are able to reach their targets.

He said: “In 2023 the council launched a Safer Roads Strategy with an ambition to reduce the number of people killed and seriously injured on our roads by at least 50 per cent by 2030.

“Could the cabinet member please outline the progress being made to reach this ambition?”

articlempu3

Coun Higginbottom said: “Delivery has been about practical action with our partners and communities.

“Through speed management we have expanded our speed indicator device programme to six mobile units rotating across the borough, delivering measurable speed reductions at priority sites.

“We’ve brought forward traffic regulation orders to address parking and access and safety concerns particularly around schools and new pitch points.

“We are listening and acting locally, responding to legitimate requests from residents and members even where there isn’t necessarily a personal injury collision PAP.

“Our recent road safety improvements include Jet Lane, Swallow Hill Road and Dell Avenue roundabout.

“We’re continuing our education and engagement work, launching our Safer Roads Barnsley and Don’t Drive Daft driver campaign.”

Coun Hunt asked if there would be an increase in the number of speed indicator devices but was unhappy with the response.

He told the Chronicle: “I am disappointed that the cabinet member responsible for road safety was not able to provide a firm commitment on expanding the number of speed indicator devices in Barnsley.

“They are a proven road safety tool but we only have six of them.

“Rotherham Council, who clearly must take road safety more seriously, have 66. If we are serious in meeting our ambitions to improve road safety we need far more action not just warm words.

“The cabinet member needs to be far more influential with colleagues in securing the extra investment in road safety that residents of Barnsley are crying out for.”