CONOR Hourihane believes Stockport County are a ‘team heading in the right direction’ and is ready for a tough test in tomorrow’s 12.30pm kick-off.

Stockport are currently fourth in League One, four points and five places above Barnsley – though they have played two games more than the Reds.

Hourihane's side are currently ninth, three points outside the play-off places but just five off top of the table Cardiff City.

The Hatters were the early pace setters in the league but have lost their last two games – back-to-back 3-0 defeats, first against Luton and then against Peterborough last Thursday.

Their manager Dave Challinor was appointed in November 2021 when the side were in the National League.

He guided them to back-to-back promotions from the fifth tier to the third tier.

They almost won promotion to the Championship last season but finished third, five points behind second place Wrexham, before ultimately losing in the play-off semi final to Leyton Orient.

Hourihane said he expects them to be in the Championship sooner rather than later.

articlempu1

He added: “The rise they’ve had through the leagues under their manager has been really impressive.

“They’re a club going in the right direction.

“No doubt over the next two, three seasons, they will get to the Championship and move forward again.

articlempu2

“They go about their business in the right way.”

Only six teams have conceded fewer than the 20 Stockport have, though they're also one of the division's top scorers with 22.

They have the 12th best home record in the league, winning four, drawing two and losing two of their eight games at Edgeley Park.

articlempu3

While the Reds have the sixth best away record, only losing twice on their seven visits away from Oakwell.

Hourihane is expecting a tough game in Greater Manchester tomorrow and admits that anyone can beat anyone in this league.

He said: "Luton just got beat 5-0, rallied together and then go a good result against Huddersfield.

“There’s no doubt that Stockport will be the same.

“They played last Thursday so they’ve had time to work on things, regroup and reorganise themselves.

“We know that it’s going to be a really tough test – but it’s one that I believe our lads are more than capable of matching.

“We are in a really good place as well.

“But we’re under no illusions that Stockport are a good side and we’re going to need to be at our very best to get a result.”

Stockport have former Barnsley players Owen Dodgson, Callum Connolly and Corey Addai in their ranks, while on-loan Reds defender Corey O'Keeffe is ineligible for tomorrow's game.

The two sides have faced each other 95 times, with Barnsley winning 32, drawing 33 and losing 30.

The Reds lost 2-1 at Edgeley Park in February last year in their last meeting.

They have not beaten the Hatters since a 3-2 win in 2004 thanks to goals from Nicky Wroe, Gary Birch and Alex Neil against a side which included future England star Rickie Lambert and Welsh international Ashley Williams.