BARNSLEY will look to ‘bulk up’ their squad for the ‘relentlessly busy’ second half of the season – especially in attack and central defence – once the January transfer window opens next week.

The Reds are currently tenth in League One with 28 points from 18 games, six points off the top six and five clear of the relegation zone with at least one game in hand on all the other teams.

They lost 3–0 at lowly Exeter City on Saturday and are now due to host fourth-bottom Mansfield Town on Friday in their Boxing Day fixture.

The January transfer window is due to open on Thursday of next week and close on Monday, February 2.

Hourihane has previously said he wants ‘a couple of attackers’ and the Reds are understood to be looking at central defenders.

Barnsley have conceded 49 goals in all competitions this season and no team in League One have kept fewer clean sheets than their two.

Asked if he wanted to strengthen in central defence, Hourihane told the Chronicle: “Yeah.

“I have made it clear to the club what I am after. Hopefully sooner rather than later in January I will get the players that are needed.”

articlempu1

Like with central midfield, Hourihane has said he is happy with his options at full-back, once Georgie Gent and Nathanael Ogbeta return from injury.

“At left-back we have Georgie, Nate and Josh (Earl) then, from the right-back point of view, we have T (Tennai Watson) and Blandy (Jono Bland).

“I think we’re OK in the full-back areas.”

articlempu2

Barnsley have not sold a starting first team player in the January transfer window since Brad Potts moved to Preston North End in 2019.

The Reds have a series of highly-rated young players on long contracts, 13-goal top-scorer Davis Keillor-Dunn plus midfielders Luca Connell and Adam Phillips who have been the subjects of multiple bids in previous windows.

Hourihane told the Chronicle: “Whether it’s young or older players, everyone has their price.

articlempu3

“We understand the scenario we’re in. We’re developing younger players to ultimately sell on.

“We don’t want anybody to go because we have some really exciting players and I feel this is the best place for them.

“They have a head coach who really invests in their development and gives them a platform to kick their careers forward.”

Hourihane has emphasised the need for extra squad depth as Barnsley are due to play 15 games in less than two months from mid-January to mid-March.

Their home games with Wycombe Wanderers and Cardiff City have been rearranged to March 3 and 10.

Hourihane said: “From January to March it will be relentlessly busy and a fierce part of season. We need bodies, business and to bulk up the squad.”

There may be fringe players who move on. Loanees Jake Rooney and Caylan Vickers have barely played in recent league games while midfielder Jon Russell has not started in the league yet this season.