BARNSLEY captain Luca Connell knows he will be ‘under scrutiny’ after returning from a three-game ban and making several costly errors in midweek, but is determined to ‘bounce back’ in the coming games.
The midfielder was at least partly at fault for three goals in the Reds’ 4-0 loss at League One leaders Cardiff City on Tuesday evening.
Connell told the Chronicle: “I know the scrutiny I will come under but you have to bounce back.
“If you go out in front of the fans on Saturday (when Barnsley host Stevenage) still thinking about Tuesday night, it will probably go the way Tuesday night went.
“I just have to switch off, train well and make sure I am ready to go.”
Asked if not playing for almost all of January might have been a factor in his errors, Connell said: “I am not going to blame that.
“It wasn’t that I couldn’t run back and it wasn’t down to fitness.
“But it was a couple of poor moments of quality on the ball.
“I am not going to not take the ball on Saturday because of that, I will forget about it but put it right.”
It has been a tough start to 2026 for Connell who was sent off on New Year’s Day at Wigan so served a three-game ban. He said: “It’s definitely not ideal.
“It is not how I wanted the year to start.
“I made a silly mistake and paid the price then I was buzzing to be back and I made a couple of mistakes.
“But I will be ready for Saturday and it’s not an issue.”
One of the games he missed was Barnsley’s FA Cup tie at Liverpool.
Connell, who is from Liverpool but supports Everton, said: “It was definitely tough.
“I had so many family members flying from Ireland and travelling from all over the country.
“It was definitely not ideal ringing them and explaining the situation.
“But it’s football and it happens and I have to move on.
“I was still there and watched it with Josh Earl who was injured.
“You are almost like a fan for 90 minutes.
“When we hit the post early we were looking at each other like ‘come on’.”
The Wigan game was also Connell’s 150th for Barnsley who he joined in 2022.
He said: “I am proud to play 150 games for this club.
“I know the scrutiny I come under but I have had a lot of highs and lows, a lot of memories with these fans and hopefully we can make some more.”
Connell has previously been the subject of speculation in the transfer window so knows what young winger Reyes Cleary is experiencing this January with reports of interest from other clubs.
“Rey and whoever else has been mentioned, they are all level-headed.
“We will all be prepared for Saturday.
“If they don’t play or if whatever happens, happens, the next person will be ready.
“That’s the mentality the gaffer is pushing and I will echo that message.”