Chronicle chief reporter Jack Tolson takes a look back through the archives of this month twenty years ago.

RESIDENTS TURN OUT TO PROTEST AT OAKWELL PLAN

OPPOSITION over plans to develop part of the Oakwell ground is gathering pace after a public meeting.

More than 100 residents turned up on Monday when there were outbursts over the proposals submitted to the council by Oakwell Community Assets (OCA), which owns the stadium.

The residents, who have until February 20 to respond to the application, said they did not want any more development in the area.

Traffic issues, a lack of open space for children and safety worries were all highlighted as problems.

OCA, jointly owned by the council and Patrick Cryne, wants to build houses on the bottom section of the main car park on Grove Street and on the strip of land between Queen’s Road and Grove Street.

At the meeting, cabinet spokesman for development and OCA director Coun Bill Newman put forward the case for the plans.

articlempu1

He said: “This is a trial planning application for the area and I realise its importance.

“What we need is a Oakwell masterplan to look in detail at the whole area, so we can move it forward.”

Eric Naylor said: “I have my reservations as to the building of houses in the area.

articlempu2

“We have enough traffic caused by Barnsley FC as it is.

“I am against this, and I think you will find that a lot of people around here are.”

NEW HOME FOR RAMPAGING GOAT

articlempu3

A BILLY goat which was on the rampage around Darton for several days has found a new home in Sheffield.

Bobby is going to live on a farm after he was taken in by RSPCA inspectors - but not before he escaped again by scaling a six-foot-high fence at their animal centre.

The animal had been running wild in Barnsley Road, Darton, until he was caught by Carl Woodcock and three workmates last Wednesday.

RSPCA Inspector Matt Bell said: “I think someone probably got him as a kid but when he grew up he became too much of a handful and they decided to get rid of him.

“Apparently he just turned up in Darton and was running about for several days before anyone dared to get near enough to catch him.

“We’ve had him castrated which should calm him down now.”

WRESTLING FANS FLOORED BY MISSING STAR

WRESTLING fans were left hissing mad on Saturday when star attraction Jake the Snake Roberts cancelled at the last minute.

Fight-goers who had paid up to £10 a ticket for the Metrodome event were only told the headliner had pulled out once they had taken their seats.

It’s believed that American Roberts was refused a work permit because of questions over his treatment of his previous snake which was seized by RSPCA inspectors.

The former World Wrestling Federation star, famous for draping his sidekick across the bodies of his defeated opponents, was replaced by an unknown American wrestler.