MARC Roberts could ‘absolutely’ still play a part in Barnsley’s run-in says Conor Hourihane who has yet to make a decision on whether to recall Leo Farrell from his successful loan stint at Scunthorpe.
Centre-back Roberts, 35, has started nine league games this season but the only one in 2026 was the 3-3 home draw with Wimbledon last month after which he has not played a minute and has not been on the bench in the last six games.
Roberts, who won promotion with Barnsley alongside Hourihane a decade ago during their first spells at the club, is out of contract in the summer.
Hourihane told the Chronicle: “He absolutely could still be involved this season. He’s just having a bit of a time out of the squad at the minute. I feel like Mael (de Gevigney) and Eoghan O’Connell have done very very well.
“Jack Shepherd has been involved at left-back but if there is any major change in the game he can go into centre half like he did on Tuesday for the last 20 minutes. I want as many attacking options as possible from the bench.
“Having more defenders on the bench when you already have Nathan Ogbeta on there and Tennai Watson, there is no need for an extra half.
“It’s the same scenario with Georgie Gent. One area where we have numbers is defence.
“It’s just the top end of the pitch, as everyone knows, where we’re not blessed with the biggest changes.”
Barnsley’s only senior strikers are top-scorer David McGoldrick and January signing Tom Bradshaw.
They also have 20-year-old Farrell who joined National League Scunthorpe on a 28-day loan, which runs out next week, and has three goals so far in five appearances. Asked if Barnsley would extend the loan, Hourihane told the Chronicle: “I have not made a decision on it but it’s great for him because it was really important for him to get minutes.
“It was a big opportunity for him to hit the ground running and score goals.
“We have to make a decision on that.
“He’s doing great but let’s not forget Reyes (Cleary) and Charlie (Lennon) made their stamp on non-league then look how long it took them to get into our team. If we get through this weekend and everyone is unscathed, it might be the best thing for him to stay out then have a really strong pre-season with us.
“There are loads of factors, like how much we feel we have to play for.
“If Faz comes back, he’s ready to be in and round it but is he ready to go straight in and make an impact?
“What is great is he is playing minutes and scoring goals which is only going to benefit him and his development whether it’s with us now or in pre-season.”
Teenage winger Lennon, who signed in January, made his debut on Tuesday off the bench and scored an injury-time leveller against Wigan.
Hourihane has often held young signings back before giving them gametime such as Cleary and Patrick Kelly earlier in the season before they became two of the star men.
Hourihane said: “I think we need to understand Reyes came from non-league. I know he came from West Brom, but technically he comes from non-league because that (his loan at Hartlepool) was what got him to Barnsley. Same with Charlie.
“Patrick Kelly was in League Two at Doncaster and had a bright spell there.
“Blandy (Jono Bland) and Vimal (Yoganathan) had a little bit of a taste of it towards the end of last year, Vimal on loan, Blandy, obviously, with us, then they had a pre-season to get up to speed.
“So these things take time.
“We’re not bringing in too many like Eoghan O’Connell who can make an instant impact.
“These lads are young. Remember their age and remember the development that’s in them and they’ll be good players for the football club.
“They all are showing signs at different times. Patrick Kelly and Reyes have got loads of plaudits this year. Vimal has had plaudits over the last couple of games. Blandy had plaudits, particularly at the start of the season.
“And it’s Charlie’s turn now so it’s great. It’s positive to see.”
Hourihane made all five available substitutes on Tuesday evening for the first time in 23 games.
“I just felt the game was really flat and need as many changes as possible.
“I looked to the bench and recognised there were options there of course.
“I felt like, with how flat the game was, it was the right decision to make as many as possible. Hopefully that can help our energy levels come Saturday.”
Barnsley’s game at Northampton Town has been called off due to international call-ups and moved back exactly a month to Tuesday, April 28.
That means they will have almost a fortnight with no games before the Easter weekend when they visit Burton Albion on Good Friday then host Plymouth Argyle on Bank Holiday Monday. After that, they visit Rotherham United on April 11 and bottom club Port Vale three days later before taking on two promotion-chasers as they host Bradford City – with the kick-off now at 12.30pm – then travelling to Stevenage on a Tuesday night.
They will then complete their season at Luton Town on April 25, Northampton the following midweek and at home to Stockport County on the first weekend of May.