CONOR Hourihane believes he is ‘leaving in the right way’ as the search for his replacement continues to progress.
It has now been almost a fortnight since the Reds and head coach Hourihane jointly announced that he would be leaving at the end of the season in a ‘mutual amicable termination’.
The recruitment process was understood to have been at an advanced stage last week and more progress is thought to have been made in recent days.
It was thought, as of Thursday, that an announcement would not be likely before Hourihane’s final match in charge on Saturday.
As reported in last week’s Chronicle, the Reds have considered a mix of overseas and British candidates as they look at returning to a high-pressing style while continuing Hourihane’s work on developing young players.
Hourihane told the Chronicle: “I hope they get clarity obviously over the next period.
“I’m not sure what that looks like, whether it’s days, weeks, whatever, but all I know is that they’re working hard in the background to try and get the situation sorted and done.
“How it looks or the timeframes, I could not tell you.
“It’s my job to be really professional and get the lads organised.
“Some lads will be wondering what’s going on, who’s it going to be? Because obviously there’s going to be players here who are contracted next year.
“Obviously loan players and out-of-contract players will be wondering about contracts here for next year.
“So there’s a lot of things to get sorted, but I know the club will be trying to do it as quickly as they can.”
Hourihane left Barnsley the first time as a player in January 2017, scoring a free-kick in a win over Leeds when he knew he would be joining Aston Villa.
He is also pleased with how this exit has been handled.
“The first time I left correctly and I think the second time I’m leaving in the right way as well.
“And I’m very big on being really professional. I don’t think there’s any need to burn any bridges, unless the circumstances are drastic. But definitely from my time as a player and time as a manager, it’s been really supportive, really clean, really mutual.
“I pride myself on holding the highest standards, win, lose or draw as a captain, as a player, and now as a head coach.
“I’m fortunate that I’ve had a club that’s supported me in the decision when I first wanted to kind of move on as a player onto the next level of where I wanted to go.
“And it’s the same now as a head coach, in different circumstances, not as successful, but still in a really professional way, which is important to me.”
The Reds are 13th in League One, with 59 points, and can finish anywhere from 12th to 16th.
Last season they came 12th with 61 points. They finished 13th in the third tier in 2004/05 and 19th two years earlier – their lowest positions in the EFL since the 1970s.
They lost 2-1 at Luton Town on Saturday and won 1-0 at relegated Northampton Town on Tuesday.
They now finish their campaign on Saturday at home to Stockport County who are fourth but need a point to guarantee their place in the play-offs.
Asked if beating last season’s tally and finishing in the top half mattered to him, Hourihane told the Chronicle: “It’s not the be all and end all.
“We are where we are. We’re not going to move too high or too low at this stage.
“Do I want to win and add another three points? Absolutely. But let’s see what happens at the weekend.
“Would I like to get over the 60-point barrier? No doubt.
“There’s always the competitive nature within me that wants to get as many points as possible.”
He added: “It would be great (to finish with a win). We know we’ve got a difficult task ahead against a really good team. But what I was really keen on was to win a game of one of my last four games. We did it against Northampton and let’s see what happens on Saturday.
“I think there’s been a nice little bit of satisfaction around just winning a game.
“I know we should be winning and we’ve got the players to win but, in this kind of unique situation, it was important for me not to let the season filter out and to lose all the last four games, for example.”
As well as the announcement of the new head coach, Barnsley are expected to announce their retained list in the near future.
Players out of contract this summer, but with a club option for the Reds to keep them for a further year, include Jack Shepherd, Mael de Gevigney and Adam Phillips.
Others out of contract with no option are top-scorer David McGoldrick, Eoghan O’Connell, Marc Roberts and Tennai Watson who is expected to be released as are loaned-out Andy Dallas, Max Watters and Jon Russell.
Hourihane said he would have no input on the retained list.
Asked if McGoldrick had played his final Barnsley game, Hourihane said: “Potentially. I think that’s down to the club and new management to sort out contract situations with a lot of players, not just Didzy.”