BARNSLEY’S Labour branch see the Penistone East by-election which will cost taxpayers £35,000 as a ‘statement of intent’ for the next four years after Reform councillor Kay Hughes resigned after just two months in the role.

Following May’s local elections, the make-up of the ward was two Labour councillors Alex Burnett and Frances Nixon as well as Coun Hughes.

It was announced this week that she has resigned from her role due to ‘personal reasons’.

Leader of the council William Brown said: “We’re all very sorry to see Kay step down as a councillor.

“She has been a fantastic colleague and a real asset to our team, working hard for the people of Penistone East and approaching everything with dedication and compassion.

“We’d like to thank Kay for everything she has done during our election campaign, and her time as a councillor and wish her and her family all the very best for the future.”

The resignation means that a by-election will be held on August 20, with an estimated cost to the taxpayer set to be around £35,000.

Coun Burnett, the deputy leader of Barnsley’s Labour branch, told the Chronicle the by-election will show a statement of intent.

articlempu1

He said: “I wasn’t expecting it.

“We don’t know the reasons why Kay has resigned and there’s no merit in us exploring that.

“We wish her all the best for the future.

articlempu2

“We’re going to put our focus on getting a third Labour councillor back into our ward.

“We’re going to make a statement of intent and this is that first step.

“We’re focused on our campaign.

articlempu3

“We’ve got a strong record of delivering in Penistone East.

“It’s not that long ago that it had three Tory councillors.

“In May it was Labour against Reform.

“We’re the only party that can stop Reform.

“I’m very happy for us to be judged by our actions.”

Coun Nixon was elected for the first time in May’s elections and is settling in well to the role.

She said: “We wish Kay well.

“It’s been a steep learning curve.

“The council did five weeks of training for the new councillors which helped.

“I feel much more settled in now.

“We’re focusing on delivering for residents.”

A Labour group spokesperson added: “We welcome the upcoming by-election which will give voters in Penistone East the chance to have their say on the first months of Reform in Barnsley and to elect a strong voice to represent them.

“Barnsley Labour will be standing to hold Reform to account for their actions in office so far, such as taking vital support away from 28,000 young people and their families.”

A spokesperson for the Liberal Democrats added: “This by-election will cost Barnsley around £30,000, adding to the wider bill caused by Reform resignations, now reaching millions of pounds.

“We would call on Reform to fund the cost, the law rightly prevents political parties buying elections.

“They can, however, make a voluntary unearmarked donation to the government by emailing accountsreceivable@hmtreasury.gov.uk.

“While we do not know the circumstances of Kay Hughes’ resignation, and if it is personal we wish her well, the core issue remains: Reform UK’s actions are costing taxpayers money while the party continues to push cuts to services relied upon by the most vulnerable people in our borough.”