Stephen Foster has spoken of his emotion at leaving Barnsley after almost six years at the club but is happy to have finished with an against-all-odds survival which he says is as much of an achievement as reaching the semi-final of the FA Cup in 2008.
The 32-year-old defender, who has made 244 appearances for the Reds, was told by manager David Flitcroft that he was not getting a new contract on Wednesday along with Matty Done, John Rooney and Rob Edwards.
Foster told the Chronicle: "I am sad to be leaving after six good years and lots of great memories but that is part and parcel of football.
"It is all about opinions and Flicker's opinion is the one that counts. It doesn't matter if I think I can still do a job for Barnsley, he clearly wants to go with other players and I totally respect him and his choice. "He is one of the most honest and transparent football people I have met.
"I have great memories of Barnsley and the fans who have always been good with me. I was overwhelmed by the response I got on Twitter when the news broke that I was being released. It was quite moving and I am very grateful."
Foster’s final game for the Reds was the 6-0 home loss to Charlton last month which he finished as a striker due to an injury that ruled him out for the rest of the season. He said: “I won’t be keeping that one in the memory bank for too long but there are plenty of other great wins this season that I will never forget.
“I would put staying up this season alongside the FA Cup semi-final in terms of achievements, although they were both very different. We all went out over the weekend to celebrate but obviously it was in the back of my mind that I might not be getting a new contract.”