Barnsley have rejected two approaches from conference side Forest Green Rovers to speak to assistant boss Micky Mellon about their vacant manager's job.
Rovers parted company with Dave Hockaday last week after losing seven of their last eight games.
A host of names – including former England legends Robbie Fowler and Tony Adams – have been linked with the vacancy and although the Gloucestershire club is keeping tight-lipped about their search for a replacement, it was revealed this week that they are keen on Reds assistant Mellon.
Rovers officials have made two bids to speak to Mellon but have been denied both times by Barnsley's board.
The Chronicle spoke to Mellon, who said he was flattered to be linked with a manager's job but that he was enjoying his time as David Flitcroft's right-hand man.
Mellon said: "I was pulled in by Ben Mansford (Chief Exectuive) on Tuesday and David was also there. Ben informed me that Forest Green had made two approaches but that the club had denied them permission to speak to me.
"I respected that Forest Green had gone about their business in the proper manner but I'm very happy at Barnsley's decision.
"It's always nice when people recognise the job you're doing in football but I haven't let the decision affect me.
"I simply came out of the meeting, watched the under 21s against Leeds and have been preparing since for the Ipswich game, which is a big one for Barnsley Football Club."