Manager Danny Wilson says he does not want any players coming in or out of Oakwell before the loan deadline on Thursday.

The Reds – who are on tremendous form with three successive victories – have five loan players, the maximum allowed in a matchday squad, and more than 25 professionals on their books.

Wilson says his priority is making plans for the January transfer window rather than loan deals next week.

The Reds boss told the Chronicle: "Our attention is on January. We've got our quota of loans. It's only fair to the players on the bench and on loan away from us that we keep the squad the same.

"Even if there was an injury, we wouldn't get another player in. I feel we have a lot of cover in every area.

"There have been no enquiries for any of our players. I would be very reluctant to let anyone go."

Barnsley's plans to keep all five loan players for the rest of the season appear to have been dented after the brother and agent of Marcello Trotta said he is looking to move back to his native Italy in January. The Fulham striker joined the Reds earlier this month until the New Year and has played once so far.

Giuseppe Trotta told an Italian sports website: "We decided to accept a loan to Barnsley. That way he could play and prepare himself for a January move.  We also know there are other clubs interested in Marcello, which just confirms his quality. The plan is to come back to Italy.  We also have an agreement with Fulham that, if an offer comes in from Italy, Marcello can return."

articlempu1

Wilson admits Trotta's future is the least clear of all five loanees while talks are ongoing with the parent clubs of Devante Cole, Peter Ramage, Joe Dudgeon, who are also at Oakwell until January 5, and Ryan Williams, who is likely to sign an extension to his current deal which expires on December 2.

"It's very important for us to know where we are with the loan players early on and not have it sprung on us on the first of January," said the manager.

"Talks are ongoing with the parent clubs of Joe, Devante, Peter and Ryan. We will take a view on Marcello later on. What Marcello's long-term aims are, I don't know. But, while he is with us, I would expect him to contribute which he has done so far. If he gets himself a move and enhances his career with us then it will mean he has done well for us."

articlempu2

Barnsley chief executive Ben Mansford added: "If Marcello wants to go back to Italy in January, then that is his decision. We have been impressed with his attitude so far.  He is the physical striker we have been looking for and, if we don't keep him for the rest of the season, we will be looking for someone else in a similar mould."

The Reds are considering offering trialist Ryan Towner a deal until the end of the season. Towner is an 18-year-old central midfielder but he has been playing at right-back for the under 21s during his several months on trial with Barnsley. He was released from Stevenage Borough in the summer without making an appearance after their relegation to League Two and has since been playing for Chesham United in the Southern League, two steps below the Conference.