Paul Heckingbottom admits it is crucial that Barnsley bring in new signings before they fly to Hungary on Monday – but does not know whether his captain Marc Roberts will be going to the pre-season training camp.

The head coach has confirmed that the Reds have rejected several bids for centre-back Roberts from two Championship clubs, with interest building from the Premier League as well. Birmingham City are understood to be among the frontrunners for Roberts' signature with their manager Harry Redknapp known to have made an approach.Heckingbottom has said the interested clubs are 'not far off' Barnsley's valuation for Roberts.

He told the Chronicle: "I don't know whether he will be with us in Hungary. Me and Robbo are carrying on as normal until a club meets our valuation and we get a replacement in."

The former Wakefield, Worksop, Buxton and Halifax defender, who is from Penistone and now lives in Tankersley, has made 84 appearances for his hometown club since arriving two years ago.

Heckingbottom added: "He's our captain and he was excellent for us last season and we need to make sure we can replace him before we let him go. Robbo has said 'until you tell me you've accepted a bid. I'm your player' which is refreshing."

Heckingbottom also said there have been no bids yet for another of his highly-rated defenders Andy Yiadom, who has been heavily linked with Premier League Swansea City. There is likely to be business between the two clubs with Barnsley interested in striker Oliver McBurnie, although Heckingbottom would not say if a bid had been made.

The 21-year-old has struggled to break into Swansea's first team since moving from Bradford City as a teenager in 2015, but has impressed for the under 23s. His brother Xander played briefly under Heckingbottom for Barnsley under 23s.

The Reds boss said: "We know all about Oliver. We watched him in the Checkatrade Trophy last year. He did very well in that and he's someone we have been looking at."

articlempu1

Barnsley are also heavily linked with a move for Blackpool winger Brad Potts, who turns 23 on Monday. The former England under 19s player has a year to run on his contact with the League Two side.Heckingbottom said: "He's another who stood out last season, for obvious reasons with his goals and assists. We know all about him but he's Blackpool's player and I can't say any more on it."

The Reds boss also confirmed he was an admirer of Wolverhampton Wanderers central midfield Jack Price but said he is not one of the players close to a move to Oakwell. The Reds have made several bids this week and are hoping for new recruits before going to Budapest. Heckingbottom is priortising a left-back as well as strikers and wingers.

He said: "We're close on a number of them, it's just getting them over the line. We have some bids in for players. I hope we get a few more in before Hungary. We need bodies out there who are closer to our first team. It's got to be the priority because there are five weeks now before the season starts. We're limiting new signings' chances of starting the season if they haven't had enough time on the grass. We have got some good players in the building but we need a hell of a lot more because we have fallen behind in our recruitment in the last 12 months."

articlempu2

Meanwhile, the Reds boss added that more fringe players could follow striker Brad Ash who has been sent out on loan to non-league side Boreham Wood. Shaun Tuton is understood to be on trial at Motherwell while Elliot Lee has been strongly linked with a move to Luton Town.