STAFF at Outwood Academy Shafton have once again been on strike this week and the industrial action will continue into next week if talks are unsuccessful.

Members of the National Education Union (NEU) working in schools operated by Outwood Grange Academies Trust (OGAT) took action on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

It follows half a dozen days of strike action which took place last month.

NEU members say OGAT’s plans which could see an extension of the school day by 30 minutes will lead to a ‘substantial increase’ in workload and a potential struggle to retain teachers.

The proposed changes are being implemented without proper consultation of the workforce, it has been claimed.

Outwood Academy Shafton has been closed for various year groups throughout the week.

In a letter sent to parents, principal Alison McQueen said that the trust is working hard with trade unions to end the strike action.

But despite the trust saying they are working hard, the NEU are adamant more needs to be done to support teachers in regards to the proposals.

articlempu1

Talks are currently scheduled between the two organisations and ACAS a conciliation and arbitration service to take place next Thursday.

But strike action is still planned to take place next Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

And if no resolution has been found, the teachers will once again go on strike from July 14 to July 17.

articlempu2

Daniel Kebede, general secretary of the NEU, said: “NEU teacher members at OGAT have not taken industrial action lightly.

“They have continued to support children with additional classes for exam revision.

“While no teacher wants to be taking strike action any move that leads to an increase in teacher workload is clearly unacceptable.

articlempu3

“Most teachers leave the profession before their fourth year of teaching.

“The trust must listen to its workforce and resolve this dispute to ensure teacher workload does not escalate, for the benefit of both school staff and the children they teach.”