PLANS to build five new properties in Kendray at a site which has been a hub for antisocial behaviour for the last decade have been submitted to the council.

Vernon House, on Yews Lane, has been vacant for a number of years following the death of the owner of the house.

Built in the 1960s, it was once a lovely site but in recent years has become derelict and an area where gangs of youths congregate.

Fires, dumped rubbish and antisocial behaviour have been rife in recent years.

The house has been partially demolished due to a blaze, leaving a total eyesore currently in situ.

But plans have now been submitted to build a total of five properties on the site.

A report states: “The old house located on the site was drastically damaged due to fire and is planned to be demolished.

“The scheme comprises five bespoke three-bedroom detached residential dwellings.

articlempu1

“The development has been carefully considered to create contemporary dwellings that respect the local vernacular and the neighbouring dwellings whilst having low impact on the neighbouring properties and nature.

“The proposals have been sensitively designed to deliver a scheme which takes full account of the physical characteristics of the site and its location within the wider green belt.”

Coun Paul Murray, who represents the Stairfoot ward, has previously urged residents to stay away from the site.

articlempu2

He told the Chronicle: “I usually do a walkabout surgery around my ward and when I first saw it the site was in a right state.

“I reported it to the Safer Neighbourhood service who came out to do some work on it.

“It seems to be a real hotbed for dumping waste.

articlempu3

“It’s the residents who live across from it that I feel sorry for.

“Every time there’s waste there it gets reported and cleaned up, but then it just happens again.

“This building has become a magnet for young people but they are seemingly oblivious to the clear and present dangers a derelict building such as this creates - it’s a miracle that someone hasn’t been hurt before now.

“One of my main concerns is that kids are going into it and they’re going to get hurt.”

And Coun Murray says he’s in support of the plans - as ‘anything is better’ than the current situation.

He added: “I’m glad that the site is finally going to be developed.

“There’s quite a lot of land there so it’ll be a big development.

“It’s got to be better than what is currently there.

“Hopefully it’ll be better for residents as well.

“If they’re built it should be a lot better.

“But like I say anything is better than the current situation.”

Six neighbouring properties have been made aware of the plans with no appeals to date.

Public consultation ends on August 22.