PLANS to build 250 homes in Darfield have been amended by the applicant following an objection by the Environment Agency but local councillors are still against the application.

A public consultation event was held in June last year after plans to build a total of 460 homes 260 of which will be built on one plot and a further 200 on a second broke cover.

The properties would be built south of Doncaster Road an area of field which is currently used by dog walkers and residents alike.

The first phase of the plan for 260 homes will be overseen by Keepmoat and Saul Homes who are seeking full planning permission.

This would include areas of open space and will also include the area to the south of phase two with an outline planning application set to be pushed forward for a drainage basin.

Amended plans were submitted this week and the application shows that the number of houses on phase one has been reduced down to 250 properties.

It comes after the Environment Agency objected to the application.

A number of concerns have previously been raised regarding the application.

articlempu1

These concerns included a lack of affordable homes, increased traffic and parking, a lack of ‘joined up thinking’ in terms of infrastructure and a potential increase in pressure on educational and medical services.

“In respect of a lack of facilities within Darfield, the site has been allocated within the Local Plan without the addition of further shopping facilities,” the report said.

“The site is in a very sustainable location due to its proximity to local fare stages and rail station which provides connections to Doncaster, Rotherham, Sheffield, Leeds, and Wakefield that have a multitude of amenities, facilities and other transport opportunities.

articlempu2

“Significant concern was raised through the consultation event in respect of Doncaster Road where it was advised that the speed is too high and accidents are experienced.

“A highway consultant has been employed to review the existing highway network and the junction capacity assessment. “

Couns Kevin Osborne and Pauline Markham have said they will object to the plans and have urged residents to submit their views.

articlempu3

Coun Osborne said: “The housing numbers for phase one have been reduced and now propose 250 homes.

“There have also been minor adjustments to the housing types and parking arrangements, with the previously referenced one-bedroom flats now listed as one-bedroom houses.

“Additionally, the ecological information has been expanded following earlier objections from the Environment Agency, with further survey work being conducted.

“The southern boundary near the attenuation pond has also been updated to align with the most up-to-date mapping available.

“We strongly encourage all residents to submit their comments via the Barnsley Council’s planning explorer website.

“Both Coun Markham and I have already raised objections to this scheme and will do so during this new consultation period, which ends on December 1.

“These minor changes by the developer have not changed our stance on objecting to the application, and we urge others to contribute to the consultation once again.”