OLIVER Rowland is due to begin the defence of his first Formula E title this weekend in Brazil.
The 32-year-old from Penistone won the drivers’ championship last season, the highlight so far of a long career in motorsport.
The 2025/26 version of the global electric car championship is set to begin on Saturday in Sao Paulo.
Rowland said: “What we’ve managed to achieve following my return to Nissan in 2023/24 has been remarkable.
“Since I came to Formula E, the team has felt like my home, and I have a high level of trust with them as well as plenty of support.
“The aim for season 12 is to replicate and improve on what we did last campaign.
“But we know how hard we need to work to achieve the best results possible.”
Rowland briefly celebrated his championship win before focusing on preparing for the new campaign as well as his Dubai-based family.
He said: “It’s been like any other summer. After London (the last race of last season) I took the team away for a few days of fun then I went to Greece with my wife.
“Since then, I have just been preparing for this season and being a husband and dad.
“This year there will be so many fast drivers and cars. It will be very tight and about fine margins.”
After the opener in Brazil, Formula E moves onto Mexico City and Miami in January then Jeddah in Saudi Arabia in February, Madrid in March, Berlin and Monaco in May, two separate locations in China in June and July then Tokyo before finishing in August in London.
Rowland has competed in 97 Formula E races and is likely to move into the all-time top ten this season.
The former Penistone Grammar School student and Barnsley FC fan is also in the top ten for Formula E race wins with seven so far, including four early on last season as he built a commanding lead.