MORE than 600 workers at Barnsley Hospital are set to vote on potential strike action after bosses ‘threatened’ almost half the workforce with a fire and re-hire process over a dispute over paid breaks.
The Chronicle revealed earlier this month that almost 2,000 of the hospital’s clinical staff who refuse to sign a new contract over the issue will face action.
Since August, the ruling trust has been working with union representatives to seek agreement on the proposed move from paid to unpaid breaks.
Bosses say the changes would ensure staff have adequate rest breaks but those against the proposals believe staff will still end up working on their break - leading to longer unpaid hours while at work.
Workers were involved in a three-week consultation, which ran from late October to mid-November, and saw union members reject the hospital’s preferred outcome.
A letter sent to employees states the changes were being done to ensure ‘consistency and fairness’
The note - sent jointly by executive directors Sarah Moppett and Steven Ned - says employees have until tomorrow to agree to the revised terms or face a ‘dismissal and re-engagement’ phase.
This, according to the letter, would be the final step when all negotiations have been exhausted and an agreement cannot be reached, with employees left with ‘no choice’ but to accept a new contract with the fresh break arrangements in place.
Staff who agree to the changes will receive benefits but those who do not and are subsequently re-hired under the controversial practice would not have access to those same benefits.
GMB, the union working with the staff at the Gawber Road site, say that the majority of those affected are nursing staff working on the wards.
They added that there are concerns that most in these roles will be unable to take their full breaks due to patient care and staff shortages, increasing the likelihood of higher unpaid hours across the trust.
The indicative strike ballot began on Tuesday and will close on Monday.
GMB organiser Rachel Dix said: “These frontline NHS workers already work long hours in incredibly stressful jobs.
“This move from Barnsley Hospital managers is a demoralising and unfair attack on their terms and conditions.
“GMB members have been absolutely clear they will not accept this attack on their well-earned break times and will stand up to the appalling threat of fire and rehire.’
“It’s time for Barnsley Hospital to back down on these proposals before hospital services are badly disrupted.”
A hospital spokesperson said: “These proposals would bring the trust into line with almost all other NHS hospital trusts and with the national NHS terms and conditions that were agreed some years ago by trade unions and the NHS.
“It would provide more staff on duty for patients and reduce reliance on temporary staff.
“Evidence shows this would improve patient care and safety, support staff wellbeing, reduce healthcare costs and improve staff retention.
“The trust has undertaken eight months of consultation with affected staff and trade unions and these discussions continue.
“The GMB has not notified the trust, as it is required to do, of its intention to undertake a ballot for industrial action.
“Staff wellbeing is a priority for the trust.
“Ensuring colleagues have adequate rest breaks is essential to mitigate fatigue and maintain health.
“We remain committed to appropriate breaks in line with best practice and national NHS terms and conditions.
“This process was driven by our commitment to fairness and consistency, addressing long-standing informal arrangements and variations in how breaks were taken across departments, which raised concerns about equity among other staff groups with unpaid breaks.”