Manager David Flitcroft admits the current Barnsley squad is too big and he plans to trim it down by letting players go out on loan.
With the arrival of Peter Ramage this week, there are currently more than 30 players on professional contracts with Barnsley. As well as some young players being given experience at non-league clubs, senior players who have been injured or out of the side could also be sent out on short-term loans.
"I'm aware that I have a big squad at the moment," Flitcroft told the Chronicle.
"We have got to keep everyone playing games and it might be that we do what we did with Rob Edwards last season and give them some matches outside of the football club."
As for players coming in, Flitcroft says he is still considering bringing in a left-back to replace Scott Golbourne, who left for Wolves last week. But he is happy for 20-year-old Reuben Noble-Lazarus to keep the position in the 3-5-2 formation after a good performance in the win over Huddersfield on Saturday. Barnsley reportedly attempted to sign Leeds' Aiden White last week but the manager refused to comment on that.
He said: "We are looking for players in all positions but the left-back thing has been magnified by Scott Golbourne leaving. We won't panic. We have a list of about eight left-backs and left wing-backs. Reuben Noble-Lazarus stood up to the task against Huddersfield and he was excellent."
Another position which could be strengthened is up front but Flitcroft has been encouraged by the performances of Chris O'Grady and Marcus Pedersen who both netted at the weekend. The manager said: "Chris O'Grady has three goals now and Marcus is off the mark. We also have Chris Dagnall and Jason Scotland. "We are alright in terms of taking chances."