Scott Golbourne has denied the claims of Barnsley manager David Flitcroft that he performed poorly in his final games for the club and that his move to League One Wolverhampton Wanderers was motivated by money.
Left-back Golbourne, 25, exited Oakwell last week after 18 months which he says were the best time of his career so far. Last week, Flitcroft said that Golbourne's 'heart and head weren't in it' in the last two weeks.
The player told the Chronicle: "If the manager is saying that then I don't agree. I told him it would probably take me ten games to get back to the form I was in before I got injured last season.
"I don't think I was outstanding in the last few weeks but I think I did a job. We didn't perform well as a team, it wasn't just me. I was on the left wing a lot which is not where I prefer to play."
Golbourne signed for Wolves for an undisclosed fee and thinks he could reach the Premier League during his three-year deal. He says the Midlands club's ambition was more important than the increased wages he is understood to be receiving.
He said: "Wolves have got more money than Barnsley but that's not been the main factor. It was the long-term aspects of the move and the size of the club and their ambition that attracted me.
"It was a tough decision to make after I had worked so hard to get into the Championship and the club had done so well to stay up last season. I have dropped down to League One and people might say it is a risk but Wolves are a big club and I am taking a step back to go forwards.
"I have decided to gamble that we will go up from League One this year and then next season the club plans to be a top six Championship club with the aim of going into the Premier League.
"I have never had the opportunity to play at a club like this before. We played in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy on Tuesday and there were nearly 15,000 people there (13,481). Every league game they have at least 20,000 at home so it is incredible to play in front of that. It was things like that which won me over."