A BARNSLEY businessman who was ordered to close down one of the cheapest car park in the town centre says he plans to fight against the decision.

Property developer Wayne Hadfield has been utilising the land between two railway bridges in Old Mill Lane as a 250-space car park for the past 10 months.

He was refused retrospective planning permission on safety grounds despite the fact that a similar application to form an access road to the land, made by Barnsley College, had been granted in 2012.

Wayne intends to appeal the decision claiming it has nothing to do with safety but is motivated by money.

Coun Roy Miller, cabinet spokesman, said: "The application was refused because visibility from the site entrance is below the required national standards. It is important to ensure that adequate visibility is provided because a car park generates significant traffic movements."The application approved in 2012 was to improve the existing access to an unused site.

"As such, in contrast to the recently refused application, it would not have increased traffic generation. The applicant is entitled to appeal against the decision. However, given that visibility is below required national standards, we are confident that the decision to refuse permission is robust."

** The full story is in the Barnsley Chronicle, dated December 24. **