A CENTURY and a half has passed since the Oaks mining disaster.

Two explosions killing a total of 361 men - the first on December 12 1886 took the lives of 334 miners and the next day another 27 volunteers, who were attempting to rescue those trapped underground, also perished.

The very heart of the community had been ripped out, the town left devastated.

Now a memorial, to which sculptor Graham Ibbeson is putting the final touches, demonstrates how the proud people of our town came to terms with what happened on those dreadful two days and moved on.

Read more in this weeks Barnsley Chronicle